School Direct –
This new path into teaching is a great way to gain the qualifications and practical skills you need to become a teacher. It allows those who have just finished a degree, or have been working in a career to combine teacher training with actually doing and learning on the job.
If you are considering teaching as a career, come and train with our outstanding St Ambrose Barlow RC High Teaching School Alliance!
We are looking for applications from enthusiastic, well qualified, potential trainee teachers who have a passion for their subject.
Why choose School Direct as a way to train?
- You will spend more time in school than trainees on a ‘traditional’ PGCE route.
- You will be training alongside outstanding teachers and lead professionals.
- You will receive excellent professional development within our Alliance schools and with our University Partners.
- You will experience the diversity of excellent education providers in different types of schools with different specialisms within our Teaching School Alliance.
- You will still have access to University facilities e.g. libraries, lectures etc
- You will gain a PGCE with Masters Accreditation through either the University of Manchester or Manchester Metropolitan University (both of which are graded as Outstanding for all areas of Initial Teacher Training).
- There are tax-free bursaries of up to £20,000 for candidates with top degrees in priority subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Maths).
- You will be supported in seeking employment on successful completion of training.
Our available placements for 2014-2015
Primary: – two places (HEI partner Manchester Metropolitan University)
Biology – one place. Design Technology – one place
(HEI partner The University of Manchester) Location: Swinton
Mathematics – two places. PE – one place. Geography – one place. Art – one place.
(HEI partner The University of Manchester) Location: Bolton and Swinton
English – one place. Modern Languages – two places.
(HEI partner Buille Hill and Salford City College SCITT) Location: Bolton and Swinton
Please note that these placements are not salaried.
Apply online from 21st November 2013 for a Sept 2014 start.
Entry Requirements for Secondary School Direct
- A minimum of a 2:2 degree (preferably a 2:1 degree) in the subject
- GCSE A*-C grade in Mathematics and English Language
You must meet the University’s general entry requirements for PGCE. Recent school experience e.g. observations, voluntary assistance, learning support in UK schools is desirable for both primary and secondary applicants.
Your placement will be in one of our alliance schools
It is important that you are able to travel as placements will be in Alliance schools within Greater Manchester, and trainees may also have joint professional development sessions in Alliance schools. Placements will be in schools of contrasting natures and you will have the opportunity to benefit from first-class professional development.
During the Autumn and Summer Term you will be on placement as specified in the subject and schools below. During the Spring Term you will be on placement in a different school within our alliance. You will also gain 6th Form, Primary and Secondary experience.
- Our primary schools are St Andrews C of E Primary School in Boothstown, Worsley, Salford and St Josephs RC Primary School in Shaw, Oldham. Go to http://www.st-andrews-worsley.salford.sch.uk/ and http://www.st-josephs.oldham.sch.uk/ to take a look.
- Secondary Mathematics placements will be at Thornleigh Salesian College, Bolton (2), St Pauls Catholic High School, Wythenshawe, Manchester (1) and St Thomas More RC College, Denton, Greater Manchester (1)
- Secondary Chemistry and Physics placements will be at Thornleigh Salesian College, Bolton. The Biology and Design Technology (specialism Graphics) placements will be at St Ambrose Barlow RC High School, Swinton, Manchester. The Design Technology (specialism Engineering) placement will be at St Pauls Catholic High School, Wythenshawe, Manchester.
- Go to these websites to find out more about our alliance partner schools/ colleges:
Expectation to Employ
- There is an ‘expectation’ (but not a guarantee) of employment on successful completion of the programme within the wider network of schools. You would have to complete a full application process for any vacancy, the same as all other applicants.
Other sites :
http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/2014/11209/ – MMU PGCE Secondary Art and Design : 1 year at £9,000
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/09323/pgce-secondary-school-direct-design-and-technology-11-16/ – Manchester University – PGCE Secondary School Direct Design & Technology (11-16) : 10 months at £9,000